Cuttin’ and Guttin’

Today was a little cooler and less humid, so I decided to start roasting and pureeing some pumpkin. One of the first pumpkins I harvested was starting to go bad in one spot, so I decided to see what I could get out of that one.

I followed The Pioneer Woman’s post on the process. First. I cut the top off the pumpkin. Then, I sliced it in half and scooped out the guts and seeds (and saved the seeds). The rind was pretty tough, and the cutting took some time and upper-arm strength. Once the guts were out, I put the two halves on a baking sheet and baked them for about an hour at 350 degrees. Once baked, the flesh separated from the skin fairly easily, although I still had to use a knife (perhaps because the halves sat out for a while because I got distracted).

20150806_090157

Then it was time to puree the flesh. I really need to get a food processor, because a blender just does not do as good a job. But eventually it was all ready. I got about 1.5 cups out of this pumpkin. I probably could have gotten more, but I really didn’t want to go anywhere near that messed-up spot. Also, I just got tired of trying to get the skin off. Also, I didn’t really want too much from this pumpkin because it was kind of weird looking. I have two plants that are producing cute little sugar pumpkins (see pic below) and two that are producing these elongated, squash-looking specimens, even though I thought they were sugar pumpkin seeds. It probably won’t matter in the end, taste-wise, but…

20150806_122228

I separated the puree into half-cup portions, and into the freezer it went. I think I will do this with all the pumpkins that have already been picked. The ones that are still on the vine, I will try to save for Halloween by curing them.

Note the pumpkin seeds

Note the pumpkin seeds

20150806_124230

20150805_103034

I can’t wait to try roasting the seeds. I had saved a bunch from an earlier pumpkin, but my younger son decided he needed the plastic bag they were in, so I found them dumped in the sink. My husband loves sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. Unfortunately, some animal chomped the heads off my sunflower before I could do anything with them.

Some animal also took a bite out of one of my tomatoes.

20150805_103000

But I blanched, skinned, and froze the other two.

This was my harvest last night:

20150805_202916

That skimpy carrot had started going to seed on top, it seemed, although I thought carrots did not do that until the second year…? And once that happens, the plant siphons off the root to grow the seeds, so I guess that’s why that carrot is skimpy. I probably should just pick all the carrots, but I don’t want them to get wasted.

And the corn. Oh, the sad ear of corn.

Looks good...

Looks good…

... not so much.

… not so much.

This was from the first corn planting, when I just did two corn plants mixed in with the pumpkins. I’m hoping the ears from the corn-only bed (16 plants) are better.

Here is a picture of the pink corn silk I talked about before. It’s all dried up now, but it was so pretty.

20150730_193326

Well, the imperfect results and the guts and the skins… into the compost they go, to be reincarnated.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s